About me: nerd, geek, iconoclast, (gender-)queerish straight guy, scientist, engineer, athlete, feminist, diversity and justice advocate, and part-time evil capitalist. I grew up in Boise, Idaho, in a very adventurous and athletic family, and will spend my whole life struggling to be as cool as my parents. I've pursued a lifetime interest in science and engineering, always tempered with athletics and outdoor activity.
I live in Pasadena, California.
I am currently working in software development and startups. I wear two hats these days:
- CTO of Equibid, Inc.. Equibid is a real-estate startup that helps people save money on a home purchase. Equibid is looking for angel funding to help build a stronger MVP. You can learn more at our Gust Profile.
- CEO/Founder of Logical Reality Design, Inc., a contracting firm that specializes in web startup development, particularly in Ruby on Rails and AngularJS.
Ph.D. Thesis (2005)
My thesis won an award for "Best electronic dissertation" from the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD). Here's a video of my acceptance speech.
- E.D. Dorn, G.D. McDonald, M.C. Storrie-Lombardi, K.H. Nealson Principal components analysis and neural networks for detection of amino acid biosignatures Icarus 166 (2) (2003), 403-409 [Journal]
- E.D. Dorn, K.H. Nealson, and C. Adami. Monomer abundance distribution patterns as a universal biosignature: Examples from terrestrial and digital life. Journal of Molecular Evolution 72 (3) (2011), 283-295 [PDF]
- E.D. Dorn and C. Adami. Robust Monomer Distribution Biosignatures in Evolving Digital Biota. Astrobiology 11 (2011) 959-968. [Journal] [PDF]
I present regularly on topics of software development in the Los Angeles Ruby / Rails software development community. A few of them can be found on the web in one format or another...
- Building a Hypermedia API with Rails. (Video and slides coming soon) Given to the Los Angeles Ruby Meetup (October 2014)
- Technical Debt: the Silent Startup Killer. Given to the Pasadena Innovation Meetup (September 2014)
- Test-Driven Development: write better code faster (YouTube Video - 2012)
- Code Diving in Ruby and Rails (Slides - 2013)
- New features in Ruby 2.0 and Rails 4.0 (Slides - 2013)
- Full-Stack Integration Testing with rSpec-Steps (Slides - 2011)
- NinjaScript (Slides - 2011)