About me: nerd, geek, iconoclast, queerish straight guy, scientist, engineer, athlete, diversity and justice advocate, and part-time evil capitalist. I grew up in Boise, Idaho, in a very adventurous and athletic family, and will spend my whole life struggling to be as cool as my parents. I've pursued a lifetime interest in science and engineering, always tempered with athletics and outdoor activity.
I live in Pasadena, California.
- B.S. — Engineering — Swarthmore College, 1997
- B.A. — Biology — Swarthmore College, 1997
- Ph.D. — Computation and Neural Systems — California Institute of Technology, 2005
I am currently working in software development and startups. I founded and am the majority owner of Logical Reality Design, Inc., a contracting firm that specializes in startup development, particularly in Ruby on Rails. I also founded Provectis Music, Inc., a now-defunct software firm that built a neat tool for visualization of musical pitch.
Ph.D. Thesis (2005)
My thesis won an award for "Best electronic dissertation" from the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD). Here's a video of my acceptance speech.
- E.D. Dorn, G.D. McDonald, M.C. Storrie-Lombardi, K.H. Nealson Principal components analysis and neural networks for detection of amino acid biosignatures Icarus 166 (2) (2003), 403-409 [Journal]
- E.D. Dorn, K.H. Nealson, and C. Adami. Monomer abundance distribution patterns as a universal biosignature: Examples from terrestrial and digital life. Journal of Molecular Evolution 72 (3) (2011), 283-295 [PDF]
- E.D. Dorn and C. Adami. Robust Monomer Distribution Biosignatures in Evolving Digital Biota. Astrobiology 11 (2011) 959-968. [Journal] [PDF]
I present regularly on topics of software development in the Los Angeles Ruby / Rails software development community. A few of them can be found on the web in one format or another...