About me: nerd, geek, iconoclast, genderqueerish straight guy, scientist, engineer, athlete, feminist, diversity and justice advocate, and part-time evil capitalist. I grew up in Boise, Idaho, in a very adventurous and athletic family, and will spend my whole life struggling to be as cool as my parents. I've pursued a lifetime interest in science and engineering, always tempered with athletics and outdoor activity.
I live in Pasadena, California.
As of February 2016, I am searching for my next career! I'm open to opportunities in science, engineering, web tech/programming ... or something entirely new!
Until recently, I was the head (CEO and Founder) of a web development contracting firm called Logical Reality Design, Inc., which closed doors in February 2016. In 2014 and 2015 I also served as CTO of Equibid, Inc.. A real-estate startup designed to help people save money on a home purchase by conducting the entire transaction online. Previously, I founded Provectis Music, Inc., a now-defunct software firm that built a neat tool for visualization of musical pitch.
Ph.D. Thesis (2005)
My thesis won an award for "Best electronic dissertation" from the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD). Here's a video of my acceptance speech.
- E.D. Dorn, G.D. McDonald, M.C. Storrie-Lombardi, K.H. Nealson Principal components analysis and neural networks for detection of amino acid biosignatures Icarus 166 (2) (2003), 403-409 [Journal]
- E.D. Dorn, K.H. Nealson, and C. Adami. Monomer abundance distribution patterns as a universal biosignature: Examples from terrestrial and digital life. Journal of Molecular Evolution 72 (3) (2011), 283-295 [PDF]
- E.D. Dorn and C. Adami. Robust Monomer Distribution Biosignatures in Evolving Digital Biota. Astrobiology 11 (2011) 959-968. [Journal] [PDF]
I present regularly on topics of software development in the Los Angeles Ruby / Rails software development community. A few of them can be found on the web in one format or another...
- Controlling Scope Growth: Avoiding Software Budget Surprises (YouTube Video - 2015) Presentation to Innovate Pasadena, March 2015
- Building a Hypermedia API with Rails. (Video and slides coming soon) Given to the Los Angeles Ruby Meetup (October 2014)
- Technical Debt: the Silent Startup Killer. (YouTube Video - 2014) Presentation to Innovate Pasadena, September 2014
- Test-Driven Development: write better code faster (YouTube Video - 2012)
- Code Diving in Ruby and Rails (Slides - 2013)
- New features in Ruby 2.0 and Rails 4.0 (Slides - 2013)
- Full-Stack Integration Testing with rSpec-Steps (Slides - 2011)
- NinjaScript (Slides - 2011)
- My application to the Mars One mission! (I was eliminated between round 2 and round 3, when the candidate pool was reduced from 750 to 100)
- My Arimaa Projects I am very fond of the game Arimaa, which I think is far more interesting than Chess. Particularly during 2005/2006 I was an avid advocate and did a number of projects related to the game.
- My Boardgamegeek.com profile